Monday, September 6, 2010

Two new Toys

I decided to go out an explore some of the extensions for Google Chrome and I came across two more toys to add to the toolbox.  The first one is a screen capture add-on called "Webpage Screenshot" and the second is a stumbleupon extension.  They can both be found here.

The Webpage Screenshot is a very simple extension with two major features.

1. One it can create a screenshot of just what you see in a single webpage.  Or the second option is it will scroll through the entire page and make one large screen capture of the entire page.
2. The second function is very nice when you are trying to capture something larger than one page and don't want to have to doodle around with paint all day trying to re-aline the picture.   (However be careful.  If the webpage is really long it will take a minute or two for it to scroll down and capture the entire page!)

Next I was doodling around with stumbleupon.  I would not recommend this for anyone who is ADD and has troubles with wasting hours online doing nearly nothing.  For in its essence, it is designed to keep you occupied.  You select a category and it jumps to a website that it thinks you will enjoy.
(This touches on our conversations with Artificial Intelligence.  It could easily replace the local apartment surfer that goes around trying to waste everyones times.)
Anyhow, the biggest problem with this extension is that it works.  It found something that I enjoyed scanning through that really didn't add much to my life.  I used the Webpage Screenshot extension to document one of my findings...

It gave me a website with a lits of logos and hidden meanings within them.  If you care to let time slip away you can find the website here.

I feel like this only adds to the words of George Macaulay Trevelyan, “[Education] has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.”
George Macaulay Trevelyan, English Social History: A Survey of Six Centuries, Chaucer to Queen Victoria (London: Longmans, Green and Company, 1942), 582.

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty cool. I love finding new things on the web. Let me know when you discover anything else.

    ReplyDelete