Saturday, December 11, 2010

Got Bless Us, Every One! ~ A Christmas Carol

I have once again started my yearly review of the Christmas Carol.  I was happy to say this year I found a copy of one of the most valuable books ever written for 100 pennies, and not one less. ( Even the former Scrooge would consider that a transaction worthy of purchase.)  Thus in my new personal copy I have broken out pencil and marker and have found some happy highlights as I have breezed on through A Christmas Carol.

Here are a few snippits from the text that stood out most to me as I read and highlighted.

(Scrooge reminiscing his youthful experience with Fezziwig his old master or boss)
“It isn’t that,” said Scrooge, heated by the remark, and speaking unconsciously like his former, not his latter, self. “It isn’t that, Spirit. He has the power to render us happy or unhappy; to make our service light or burdensome; a pleasure or a toil. Say that his power lies in words andlooks; in things so slight and insignificant that it is impossible to add and count ’em up: what then? The happiness he gives, is quite as great as if it cost a fortune.”  (Page 26)


(Scrooges thoughts as he looks down upon the posterity of his ex-wife)
"What would I not have given to be one of them! Though I never could have been so rude, no, no! I wouldn’t for the wealth of all the world have crushed that braided hair, and torn it down; and for the precious little shoe, I wouldn’t have plucked it off, God bless my soul! to save my life. As to measuring her waist in sport, as they did, bold young brood, I couldn’t have done it; I should have expected my arm to have grown round it for a punishment, and never come straight again. And yet I should have dearly liked, I own, to have touched her lips; to have questioned her, that she might have opened them; to have looked upon the lashes of her downcast eyes, and never raised a blush; to have let loose waves of hair, an inch of which would be a keepsake beyond price: in short, I should have liked, I do confess, to have had the lightest licence of a child, and yet to have been man enough to know its value." (Page 29)

“Spirit,” said Scrooge submissively, “conduct me where you will. I went forth last night on compulsion, and I learnt a lesson which is working now. To-night, if you have aught to teach me, let me profit by it.” (Page 33)

“Spirit,” said Scrooge submissively, “conduct me where you will. I went forth last night on compulsion, and I learnt a lesson which is working now.To-night, if you have aught to teach me, let me profit by it.” (Page 35)

“And how did little Tim behave?” asked Mrs. Cratchit, when she had rallied Bob on his credulity, and Bob had hugged his daughter to his heart’s content.
“As good as gold,” said Bob, “and better. Somehow he gets thoughtful, sitting by himself so much, and thinks the strangest things you ever heard. He told me, coming home, that he hoped the people saw him in the church, because he was a cripple, and it might be pleasant to them to remember upon Christmas Day, who made lame beggars walk, and blind men see.” (Page 38)


This boy is Ignorance. This girl is WantBeware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased. Deny it!” cried the Spirit, stretching out its hand towards the city. “Slander those who tell it ye! Admit it for your factious purposes, and make it worse. And bide the end!” (Page 49)
(All paging notation are based off of the Dover Green Edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment